FEMA urges Kentuckians to consider buying flood insurance


CAPE GIRARDEAU, Mo. (KFVS) – FEMA is urging Kentucky residents to consider purchasing flood insurance due to the ongoing threat that flooding poses each year.

According to FEMA, floods are the most common and costly natural disasters in the United States.

As weather conditions change, all areas are susceptible to flooding. In the event of a flood, damage is not covered by most homeowners insurance policies.

Many Kentuckians may believe they don’t need to purchase flood insurance because they don’t live in a high-risk flood zone. However, FEMA says people outside high-risk areas file more than a quarter of the claims its national flood insurance program receives.

Even if you live in a non-flood zone, it is advisable to purchase flood insurance. Anyone can be financially vulnerable to flooding.

In early February 2022, winter storm Landon increased flood potential in parts of Kentucky already dealing with the effects of rain, sleet, and snow following the December 10 tornadoes.

FEMA urges homeowners, renters and business owners to protect their homes from devastating financial loss from flooding before the next flood occurs.

A flood insurance policy can cover both your home and its contents. This cover helps survivors recover faster when floodwaters recede.

Flood insurance coverage applies to all flood situations, not just those mentioned in federal disaster declarations.

The following items have been suggested by FEMA for those wishing to purchase insurance:

  • You can take out flood insurance at any time; however, there is a 30 day waiting period after you have paid the premium before the policy takes effect. So don’t wait to get a font.
  • If you own a home in a designated special flood zone and receive federal disaster assistance for your flood-damaged home or personal property, you must purchase and maintain flood insurance coverage. on the property for the life of the building. If you sell your home after receiving federal disaster assistance, the new owner is required to maintain flood insurance coverage. In most cases, an existing flood insurance policy is transferred to the new owner with no interruption in coverage.
  • If you are a tenant receiving federal disaster assistance for flood-damaged personal property, you must maintain flood insurance coverage for as long as you live in the flood-damaged rental property. The flood insurance requirement ends if you leave this property. The policy does not transfer to a new tenant of this property.
  • FEMA provides group flood insurance policies to people who do not have flood insurance and who received FEMA assistance after a President-declared disaster. For more information on group insurance policies, visit youtube.com/watch?v=_TtlQ7zjC9g.

For more information on the National Flood Insurance Program, visit fema.gov/flood-insurance or call 877-336-2627.

Copyright 2022 KFVS. All rights reserved.


Comments are closed.